Almost every person who is an admirer of Turkish cuisine knows that almost every region of Turkey has special and unique kind of Turkish kebab. In the South Eastern Anatolia region of Turkey eggplant Turkish kebab is consumed a lot. The eggplant Turkish Kebab is especially eaten a lot in winters. The significant feature of the eggplant Turkish kebab is that the eggplants are baked in this recipe. Pizza Donner This is the southern Turkish style which adds a lot of flavour to these kebabs. They are easy to make and especially cooked at homes.
To prepare the sauce
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of paprika
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon of minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon of ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon of ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon of ground allspice
To prepare the kebabs
- 2 pounds of boneless leg of lamb cut into 1 ½ inch cubes
- 4 small eggplant cut into to half inch rounds
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 2 medium red onions cut into 1 inch chunks
- ¼ cup of extra virgin olive oil
- Lemon wedges
The recipe of eggplant Turkish kebab is a little lengthy but the result we get is very appetizing and flavourful.
- The first step you need to take is to prepare the spice paste and marinate the lamb with it. To do so take a bowl and combine 2 tablespoons of olive oil, lemon juice, paprika, tomato paste, salt, pepper, cumin, coriander, cayenne, cinnamon and allspice. Now add the lamp cube in or and marinate them evenly. Now cover it and refrigerate it for at least 2 hours.
- Now in the next step preheat the gas grill 2 medium to high heat.
- On a baking sheet put the eggplant slices Sprinkle them with salt and leave it for 15 minutes.
- In the meanwhile tread the onion and lamp alternatively on the skewers.
- Dry the eggplants with the help of the paper towel and put them horizontally on the skewers and brush the sauce that you made in the start all over the eggplants.
- In order to cook lamb properly place the lamb kebabs in the middle which is basically the hotter part of the grill. Place the eggplant kebabs in the outer part of the grill which is comparatively a cooler place.
- Now grill the lamb kebabs until they are pink in the centre and brown on the outside.
- Grill the eggplants as long as they turn brown on both sides.
Now take a large serving platter and serve the kebabs on them along with lemon wedges. You can serve them with plain rice or bulgur pilaf aside. The special thing about these Turkish kebabs is that the lamb is marinated for hours. This adds flavour to the kebabs as the marination helps in tenderizing the lamb.