What Information Does SEJ Gather about You?
- Data Collected Automatically
Most of the data we collect in and through the Website and the Services is technical in nature and is collected and processed automatically through cookies and similar software-based technologies used on the Website. Alone or in combination with other data, such automatically collected data may constitute Personal Information. The data we may collect by such automated means may include:
- The Uniform Resource Locator (“URL”) of the site you visited before coming to our Website, the URL of the site you visit after leaving our Website, the type of device, browser, and operating system you are using and your Internet Protocol (“IP”) address;
- Information about the articles, content, or services that you have searched and/or viewed on the Website;
- Usage history relating to the Website;
- Browsing history; and
- Information we collect on the use of the Website via cookies. For more information, please see the sections below regarding cookies and web beacons.
Google Analytics is an element of the Website. By using cookies, Google Analytics collects and stores data such as time of visit, pages visited, time spent on each page of the Website, the Internet Protocol address, and the type of device, operating system and browser used to access the Website. By using a browser plugin available at http://www.google.com/ads/preferences/plugin/ provided by Google, you can opt out of Google Analytics.
We and our advertising partners may also use web beacons (single pixel GIF images). These web beacons are placed in the code of the Website.
- Data You Provide to Us.
We may collect Personal Information from you, including your name, email address, physical address, and phone number, when you engage in any of the following activities:
- Order SEJ advertising products through our website.
- Sign up to receive promotional materials and newsletters via mail or email.
- Participate in a contest, promotion, or survey.
Some of the Personal Information we collect from you, including your name, address, phone number, email address, and payment card information, is required in order to process your online purchases, respond to your requests, and contact you about your online purchases, if necessary.
We may also collect information regarding your:
- Personal or professional interests.
- Past experience with SEJ products and services.
- Detailed contact preferences or other Personal Information.
We may also collect publicly available information about you from other sources, such as information from newspapers, blogs, and commercial websites or third-party data aggregators. We may use such information to supplement your Personal Information maintained by us. We may also collect Personal Information that you voluntarily disclose on the website, absent any request from us.
How Does SEJ Use Your Information?
We may use information you provide to us for a variety of purposes, including the following:
- To process purchases, refunds, exchanges, and other transactions.
- To contact you about questions or communications regarding your order.
- To respond to your customer service inquiries.
- To help us learn about your preferences.
- To help us improve our website, products, services and other offerings.
- To measure the overall effectiveness of our online advertising, content, and programming;
- Analytics, market research, and/or Analyzing trends
- To otherwise enhance your experience on our website.
We provide our users a choice as to whether they would like to receive marketing or promotional communications. Users may also from time to time receive up-to-date information on products and services via our e-mail newsletter. Users may opt-out at any time from receiving these communications.
Who Do We Share Personal Information With?
When you visit our website, we share information that we collect from you, such as your email (in hashed form), IP address or information about your device, browser or operating system, with our identity partners/service providers, including LiveRamp Inc, Audigent and ID5. LiveRamp Inc, Audigent, and ID5 return an online identification code that we may store in our first-party cookie for our use in online, in-app, and cross-channel advertising and it may be shared with advertising companies to enable interest-based and targeted advertising. You must utilize each of the following tools to ensure that you are opted out:
In addition, we may disclose Personal Information you provide to us or that we collect automatically on the Website and through our services with the following categories of third parties:
- Service providers, such as data storage service providers, marketing service providers, and communications service providers. Such service providers are only allowed to use Personal Information disclosed to them for the purpose of providing us the services and for no other purposes;
- Public authorities, such as law enforcement, if we are legally required to do so or if we need to protect our rights or the rights of third parties; and
- Our subsidiaries and affiliates, if any; or a subsequent owner, co-owner or operator of the Website and/or the Services and their advisors in connection with a corporate merger, consolidation, restructuring, the sale of substantially all of our stock and/or assets, or in connection with bankruptcy proceedings, or other corporate reorganization, in accordance with this Privacy Notice.
Like many other websites, SEJ makes use of log files. The information inside the log files includes internet protocol (IP) addresses, type of browser, Internet Service Provider (ISP), date/time stamp, referring/exit pages, and number of clicks to analyze trends, administer the site, track user’s movement around the site, and gather demographic information. IP addresses, and other such information are not linked to any information that is personally identifiable.
Cookies and Web Beacons
When you visit SEJ, cookies can be stored on your computer. Cookies are little pieces of information that can help identify your browser and that can store information about visitors preferences, record user-specific information on which pages the user access or visit, customize webpage content based on visitors browser type or other information that the visitor sends via their browser. The following sets out how we may use different categories of cookies and your options for managing cookie settings:
- Performance cookies.These cookies collect information about how you use the Website, including which pages you go to most often and if they receive error messages from certain pages. Information collected using performance cookies is only used to improve how the Website functions and performs. From time-to-time, we may engage third parties to track and analyze usage and volume statistical information relating to individuals who visit the Website. We may also utilize Flash cookies for these purposes.
To learn how to opt out of performance cookies using your browser settings, please review the instructions in your applicable browser. To learn how to manage privacy and storage settings for Flash cookies, click here.
- Functionality cookies. Functionality cookies allow the Website to remember information you have entered or choices you make (such as your username, language, or your region) and provide enhanced, more personal features. These cookies also enable you to optimize your use of the Website after logging in. These cookies can also be used to remember changes you have made to text size, fonts and other parts of web pages that you can customize. We may use local shared objects, also known as Flash cookies, to store your preferences or display content based upon what you view on the Website to personalize your visit.
Advertising is one of SEJ’s revenue streams. Therefore, we display advertisements on some of our services (e.g., on certain webpages or in emails).
If you wish to disable cookies, you may do so through your individual browser options. More detailed information about cookie management with specific web browsers can be found at the browsers’ respective websites.
Communication Between SEJ and You
If you send SEJ a message via email or web form, this message can be stored to process it, to compile statistical information, to improve our services and support, or to get in touch with you.
How Can You Access or Change Your Information?
You may access, review and edit the Personal Information that you provide to us online. You can also ask us to update your Personal Information or communication preferences by contacting us via our Contact Us page. Please note that any request to update your information may take up to 30 days to process and that you may continue to receive communications from SEJ using the previously provided information until your request becomes effective.
Additionally, you may opt-out from use of your Personal Information collected online for the purpose of sending such marketing or promotional communications at any time by following the unsubscribe instruction contained within each of the newsletters or promotional communications you receive.
FOR CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS
California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits Website users who are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of Personal Information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make a request, please contact us at: email@example.com.
Furthermore, California residents have the following rights with respect to Personal Information we may have collected about them:
(a) Requests to Know
You have the right to request that we disclose:
- The categories of Personal Information we have collected about you;
- The categories of Personal Information about you we have sold or disclosed for a business purpose;
- The categories of sources from which we have collected Personal Information about you;
- The business or commercial purposes for selling or collecting Personal Information about you;
- The categories of Personal Information sold or shared about you, as well as the categories of third parties to whom the Personal Information was sold, by category of Personal Information for each party to whom Personal Information was sold; and
- The specific pieces of Personal Information collected.
You may submit a request via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. The delivery of our response may take place electronically or by mail. We are not required to respond to requests to know more than twice in a 12-month period.
(b) Requests to Delete
You have the right to request that we delete any Personal Information about you that we have collected. Upon receiving a verified request to delete Personal Information, we will do so unless otherwise authorized by law. You may submit a request to delete Personal Information via email at email@example.com.
(c) Authorized Agents
You may designate an authorized agent to make requests on your behalf. You must provide an authorized agent written permission to submit a request on your behalf, and we may require that you verify your identity directly with us. Alternatively, an authorized agent that has been provided power of attorney pursuant to Probate Code sections 4000-4465 may submit a request on your behalf.
(d) Methods for Submitting Consumer Requests and Our Response to Requests
You may submit a request for access and requests to delete Personal Information about you via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upon receipt of a request, we may ask you for additional information to verify your identity. Any additional information you provide will be used only to verify your identity and not for any other purpose.
We will acknowledge the receipt of your request within ten (10) days of receipt. Subject to our ability to verify your identity, we will respond to your request within 45 days of receipt. In order to protect your privacy and the security of Personal Information about you, we verify your request by verifying your ownership of the email address used for the account. A verification link will be emailed to your email address for you to select and confirm your ownership of that email address, and then the data collection or deletion process can be initiated.
(e) The Right to Non-Discrimination
You have the right not to be discriminated against for the exercise of your California privacy rights described above.
(f) Sale of Personal Information
California residents may opt out of the “sale” of their personal information. We sell certain of your information to third parties to provide you with offers and promotions and opportunities that may be of interest to you.
Under the CCPA, a sale is broadly defined such that it may include allowing third parties to receive certain information, including cookies, IP address, and/or browsing behavior, to deliver targeted advertising on our services or other services offered by third parties. Advertising, including targeted advertising, enables us to provide you with certain content for free and allows us to provide you offers relevant to you.
Depending on what services you use, we may provide the following categories of personal information to third parties for these purposes:
- For online targeted advertising purposes: demographic and statistical information, user-generated content, device information and identifiers, browser and usage data, geolocation, and social media information.
- For sharing with third parties to send you relevant offers, products, promotions and opportunities: contact and registration information, demographic and statistical information, employment and education data, user-generated content, device information and identifiers, and geolocation.
If you would like to opt out of our use of your information for such purposes that are considered a “sale” under California law, you may do so as outlined on the following page: Do Not Sell My Info.
We retain Personal Information about you only for as long as needed for the purposes for which it was collected. Personal Information is only kept for as long as needed for the purposes described in this Privacy Notice and for our legitimate business purposes, after which it is scrubbed, de-identified, anonymized or obfuscated as soon as possible unless otherwise required by applicable legislation.
If you are a customer of SEJ, SEJ will retain Personal Information about you for the duration of the contractual relationship you or your company has with us and after the end of that relationship for as long as necessary to perform the purposes set out above or to comply with other legal obligations. Personal Information that we collect as a result of you subscribing to our newsletter will be stored until you decide to withdraw your subscription.
Links to Other Websites
Our website may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our websites, we do not have any control over third party websites. We cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this Privacy Notice. You should exercise caution and review the privacy notice applicable to the website in question.
The Website and the services are not intended for children under the age of 16. Accordingly, we do not intend to collect Personal Information from anyone we know to be under 16 years of age. We do not intentionally collect, sell, or process the Personal Information of individuals under 16 years of age.
Our Website does not respond to do-not-track signals. You may, however, disable certain tracking as discussed above (e.g., by disabling cookies).
Updated on June 21, 2022